I thought right about now might be a good time to give some tips for wearing skirts more.
I wear skirts about 90% of the time-for one reason or another I end up wearing jeans on occasion. I don't think there's anything wrong with wearing pants, for me it's a personal choice. It's not a "Hey! Everyone needs to wear skirts, because pants are wicked!"
About two/three years ago I felt like God was leading me to wear more skirts. Again, this isn't a "super spiritual me" statement-just my personal choice.
I do, however, think that skirts are effortlessly feminine! I've often reflected on different musical movies and thought "This movie would never be the same if these ladies were in pants!" I'll be first to admit though, those shoes they wore were ridiculous and I'm sure many of them got a sprained ankle for the efforts!
As you've been reading my blog, or maybe Olivia's or Callie's (both of whom are lovely ladies who wear skirts a majority of the time) you might be curious about how you can take steps toward wearing skirts more often. Or maybe you already wear skirts-maybe you'll still find some helpful tips!
- I have essential skirts that I can't live without! They include functional skirts that go with a variety of items and get many uses during the week/month. To start wearing skirts, it's a good idea to get one or two skirts that go with just about every shirt in your closet! For me, these skirts include: a knee length denim skirt, long denim skirt, a brown skirt (made of cotton for more casual outfits, but easily dressed up) and a white skirt.
- Time. Time. Time. When you first start wearing skirts, you'll find some shirts won't look right with your skirt. That's ok! Just keep searching till it looks right! I find fitted shirts look better with flowy, flared skirts. Tighter, straighter fit skirts, go with more loosely fitted shirts.
- During the Winter, tights are great! However, I find leggings to be warmer. Pair them with nice cozy socks (or two pairs!) and an adorable pair of boots and you're ready to brave the cold weather head on!
- Simplicity is your friend! Go with plain, non-printed skirts. I made the mistake of purchasing way too many patterned skirts (hey, I'm learning too!) that only go with a couple things in my closet. BUY PLAIN SKIRTS!
- Walk like a lady. Seriously! This is a biggy! You're dressed like a lady, walk like one. Don't sit with your legs spread (even if you have leggings on!), carry yourself like a daughter of the One true King should!
- Don't be afraid to just wear a jean skirt for like a month straight-it happens! (not that I have experience in this area or anything.....
- Lastly, but certainly not least! Smile. If you have a not so cute outfit on, a smile can change that so-so outfit into a splendid display of fashion! (freals!)
And that's it! Simple answer: just do it.
I'll leave you with this: I double dog dare you to wear skirts/dresses for the next week! I even made you this nifty little button for your blog:
imageanchor="1" style="clear: left; float: left; margin-
bottom: 1em; margin-right: 1em;">
Then come back November 7th (or a little later!) and tell me how it went! Did you feel any different wearing skirts? Did people treat you any different? Were skirts/dresses harder to wear than pants?
Who's taking my challenge?!....
Who's taking my challenge?!....